Monday, November 2, 2015

MMMMM2015 - Too Long; Didn't Read

For posterity, I figured I'd go ahead and post the report card for this year's films. This way if you don't want to read the 10000+ words I wrote about them, at least you'll know what I thought generally. Plus, it's definitely free of spoilers

And, though you regular readers are probably sick of seeing it, I feel I must post the grading scale one last time...

A = Excellent, a must see
B = Very good, I’d watch it again
C = Worth Seeing
D = Maybe don’t bother
F = Worthless
+ = Superior for this grade
- = Just barely makes it into this grade
 
A+ to A-
Nil
 
B+
Audition
Curse of the Demon
Red State
Thirst
 
B
The Tenant 
What We Do In The Shadows
Witchfinder General
 
B- 
A Return to Salem's Lot
Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom
 
C+
A Taste of Fear
House
Interview With The Vampire
Life After Beth
The People Under The Stairs
 
C
The ABCs of Death 2
The Gorgon 
The Thing From Another World
 
C-
Cheerleader Camp
Horror Hotel
The Human Centipede: First Sequence
Noroi: The Curse 
Tetsuo, the Iron Man
 
D+
The New York Ripper
Scream
Sinister

D
Ghosts of Mars
Honeymoon 
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
 
D-
Nil
 
F
Troll
Two Thousand Maniacs!
Wolf Creek
 
* Order is by grade, then alphabetical.  

In summary, if I were to choose one of my B+s as my favorite, I'd probably pick Red State. While Curse of the Demon, Audition and Thirst are all probably better movies on a technical level, Red State was thoroughly entertaining, and I'm no robot. It also looks like a fairly decent bell curve, among the selected films' grades. I'd hazard a guess the average is about a C-. That seems fairly poor, but consider there's only three Fs, and you'll understand that I consider this a good year.

Thank you, one and all, for reading my collection of reviews. I hope I didn't repeat myself too much, which one tends to do when one doesn't proofread enough, or is writing a review a day, and not looking too far back in his postings. 

I don't know how much writing the Cult of Pop will see until next October (but, I always have the best of intentions). But I will take this opportunity to plug that I am teaching a one-off class at the Westboro Brainery in Ottawa. The class, called Polyester & Gore, will be a selection of the most influential horror movies of the 1970s, and examining their impact on culture today. If you live in Ottawa, and like what I have to say, I encourage you to come and check it out on January 19th, 2016. 

'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment